Halloween countdown banner

Monday, August 28, 2006

65. SALEM'S LOT

65. SALEM'S LOT
(1979)
Directed by Tobe Hooper

Did horror fans in 1979 realize how lucky they were? Not only did they get Cronenberg's "The Brood" from Canada, Fulci's "Zombi 2" from Italy, Herzog's "Nosferatu, the Vampyre" from Germany and Ridley Scott's "Alien" from right here in the United States all on the big screen, they also got Tobe Hooper's adaptation of the Stephen King bloodsucking classic "Salem's Lot" on the goddamn television! Exploring the themes of vampirism as a plague and the insular small town as a trap, this is quite a creepy little tale. I saw it as a kid when it aired for the first time and Danny Glick scratchin' at the windowpane haunted me for years. I would actually torment my little sister and her friends with my imitation of the floating Glick boy in twilight backyard games until our parents had heard enough screaming for the day and called us in. In addition to those pleasant associations, "Salem's Lot" the novel was the first 'adult' novel I read in it's entirety as a youngster on a family camping trip to northern Michigan and I suppose my ongoing adoration certainly has some roots in nostalgia but this really is Stephen King at his best. Truly one of television's finest moments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home